Sunday, January 17, 2010

Venison Kabobs

My Brother-in law set me up with some venison, hence the postings with venison. I had two packages of venison loin and my concerns were:

Not making it too dry (very lean cut)
Moderating the game flavor

When I came across a recipe for charmoula lamb kabob, lights and bells went off. The recipe come from a cookbook that I got from the library- The Flexitarian Table, which is quite interesting. There premise of the cookbook is offering vegitarian and non-vegetarian variations of many dishes with a focus on seasonal and sustainable foods.
After a 2 hour marinade, I grilled the kabobs in the dark and luckily they came out not burned and quite tasty. I made other kabobs with grape tomatoes, red onion, mushrooms, and red pepper marinated with the same marinade. I grilled them separate, since there is nothing worse than perfecty cooked meat with burnt veggies. A cumin pilaf was the starch. This would also be great with beef, bison, or lamb.

Charmoula Lamb Kebabs
Adapted from The Flexitarian Table
Peter Berley
Marinade
1/2 C lemon juice (fresh)
1/2 C Fresh cilantro
4 peeled cloves garlic
2 1/2 t kosher salt
2 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
1 t sweet paprika
1/8 t cayenne
1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
puree all ingredients in food processor

12 oz venison loin
Marinate the Venison for 2hours or overnight

Prepare grill so there is a hot side and a low side
Skewer the meat on soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers
Sear meat until crust develops (3-4 min), flip and repeat, then move to low side of grill until meat done. (I like 145 f) remove from grill, allow to rest covered 3 min.

If making veggie skewers, place on low side, flip once and cook until done.




No comments:

Post a Comment